Breakfast Sausage With Biscuit And Gravy Casserole
Breakfast sausage is not the most exciting breakfast ingredient. While most people would still eat it, it’s not as enticing compared to, let’s say bacon. However, in this recipe, we are going to change all that. How does the sound of breakfast sausage with biscuit and gravy casserole? If you’re most like people, your mouth is probably starting to water.
Before we get into the step by step instructions, here are a couple of things you may need to know. This is a casserole dish, so it would mean you’ll be using the oven. The dish also takes a bit of time to prepare, but believe us; you haven’t seen or tasted something like this before. In other words, it’s worth the effort.
Preparation time is around 15 minutes, while the cooking time is around 15 minutes. Total time to cook the dish is around 35 minutes. The recipe also requires two cooking stages – one for the preparing the gravy and the cooking of the entire dish. This recipe works great during breakfast as it’s loaded with carbs.
The carbs can definitely provide you that energy you need to tackle the rest of the day. Since it’s a bit creamy, a drink with a bit of sour can compliment the taste. An orange juice is perfect. Now that we have cleared the “you need to know” part, let’s get right to it.
- 1 pack of flaky biscuits (Grands is perfect)
- 1 and a half pound of Bean Brother’s Mild Country Smoked Sausage Little Links
- 3 tbsp. of flour
- half tsp. of salt
- half tsp. black pepper
- 2 and a half cups of milk
- Start by grounding or slicing the breakfast sausage into tiny pieces. Also, start pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grab a small casserole dish (about 7 x 10) and put some cooking spray on it.
- Open the biscuits and divide each biscuit into four equal pieces. Layer half of the biscuits inside the casserole. Then bake for about 10 minutes. While it’s baking, you can start making the gravy.
- To make the gravy, start heating a heavy skillet over high heat. Once heated, start cooking the ground or sliced breakfast sausage until fully cooked.
- Once the breakfast sausage is cooked, sprinkle the flour. Stir until the flour is completely absorbed.
- Lower the heat from high to medium. Then, add the milk and continue stirring. You can then add the pepper and salt to taste.
- Continue stirring until the mix is slightly boiling. Taste and seasoning if desired.
- If the gravy is a bit thick, then you can add more milk. You want your gravy mix to be thick, but not “globby” thick. The gravy mix should be slightly runny. Once you get it right, you can then pour the gravy mix into the casserole with layered biscuits.
- Layer the other half of the biscuits over the gravy mix. Then bake the casserole until golden brown or about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once done, take out the casserole and let it cool down a bit before serving.
So that’s it. The thought of gravy and breakfast sausage can really be mouthwatering. So, grab your ingredients and start cooking your own breakfast sausage with biscuit and gravy casserole.