Farfalle with Italian Sausage and Butternut Squash Recipe
This quick and easy pasta dish has some extra flavor thanks to Uncle John’s Pride Cooked Italian Sausage! The creamy butternut squash recipe pairs perfectly with Pecorino Romano cheese and sautéed onion. Stovetop to table is only 25 minutes, so your family won’t have to wait too long for this dinner masterpiece. It’s also versatile, you can add extra vegetables to liven up this meal.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound peeled butternut squash
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 pound Uncle John’s Pride Cooked Italian Sausage
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- ½ cup freshly ground Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil over high heat.
- Add the butternut squash and lightly season with salt. Stir the squash until its fork tender and lightly browned. This should be 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the squash to a plate and put aside.
- Add the additional tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and add pieces of the chopped yellow onion. Sauté the onion until it is lightly brown.
- Next, add small pieces of the Uncle John’s Pride Cooked Italian sausage, stirring to until it is lightly brown. Return the squash to the skillet and drop the heat to low-medium to keep this mixture from burning, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick to the skillet.
- In the meantime, boil a large pot of salted water. Cook the farfalle pasta according to the package directions until it is al dente. Drain the pasta and reserve one cup of the cooking water for later use.
- Add the farfalle pasta to the skillet along with the cooking water that you saved. Sprinkle the Pecorino Romano cheese evenly overtop of the dish and continue to cook over high heat. Stir slowly until the cheese melts and becomes a thick and creamy sauce. This should be approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large serving bowl. Sprinkle the top with the chopped flat-leaf parsley, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
This dish serves 4, but can be pushed to 6 servings if a tossed salad is added as a side dish. Also, fresh french bread or Italian bakery bread with creamy butter is a great side dish. For those heart healthy adults, pair this dish with Italian Chianti, Merlot or Pinot Grigio. This also makes a great dish to impress your friends with or introduce your children to Uncle John’s Pride Cooked Italian sausage.
Another way to modify this recipe is to add extra microwave steamed vegetables and add them when you are sautéing the onion and Italian Sausage. Peas, green beans and corn would add extra flavor. Instead of ½ cup of Pecorino Romano cheese, add ¾ of a cup. Or for some extra zing, substitute the Italian sausage for Uncle John’s Pride Hot Country Smoked Sausage. This will easily become your family’s favorite dinner and dinner guests will be asking you for the recipe on the way out the door!