Cheesy Grits Casserole With Smoked Sausage
Any southerner knows you can never have enough grits recipes. Cheesy grits with smoked sausage is a decedent meal. With this casserole, its a great recipe for a weeknight or for a brunch. You can make it ahead of time and just bake it in the oven. It can be made for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It’s versatile too, you can modify some of the ingredients to change it slightly each time you prepare it. Also, we suggest using different kinds of smoked sausage. The basic choice is mild, but don’t be afraid to try jalapeno cheddar, hot country or Italian smoked sausage. Eating is a necessity, but cooking is an art. With this recipe, we taking cooking to the next level.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package Uncle John’s Pride Mild Country Smoked Sausage, sliced into rounds
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 green onions sliced (use only the green part)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 and ¼ cups quick cooking grits
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11 x 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Be sure to get the corners so the casserole doesn’t stick at the edges. In a nonstick skillet, heat the smoked sausage slices over medium heat. Saute for about 2 minutes, turning the sausage to make sure each piece is browned. Add the red bell pepper and green onion. Cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, in a medium saucepan, bring water and chicken or vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add salt. Slowly whisk in the grits, being sure to mix so the grits don’t get clumpy. Simmer the grits for about 5 minutes or until they get larger from absorbing the water. Don’t be afraid to try the grits at this point. You want to make sure they aren’t hard or clumped into little balls. Be sure to mix them during the whole 5 minutes they are cooking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs and garlic powder. Remove the grits from the heat and slowly stir in about one cup into the large bowl. This is done in order to temper the eggs. Then pour the rest of the grits into the the egg, milk and grits mixture. Stir well to combine so there is a smooth consistency.
- Lastly, mix in the Parmesan cheese and ¼ cup of the mild cheddar cheese. Add the sausage mixture and stir all of the ingredients well. Pour everything into your greased baking dish. Top with the remaining ¼ cup mild cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until all of the cheese is melted and the top of the casserole is lightly brown. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes. Cut the casserole into pieces and serve with an optional fresh parsley.