Cheesy Potatoes and Smoked Sausage Casserole
Nothing says fall like a great casserole. They are easy to prepare with lots of hands-off cook time. Its a good comfort food for when the weather is starting to cool down. With a combination of smoked sausage, cheesy potatoes this will become a new family favorite. It’s a great stand-alone recipe for a hearty dinner. It also can double as a side dish with the main course of baked chicken breasts, lean steaks or even traditional meatloaf. The flavors range from rich cheddar cheese to savoury smoked sausage. This casserole can easily be used as a base recipe. Our suggestions are adding extra vegetables to transform this recipe into a completely different dish. The secret to any great recipe is cheese, so let’s get started!
- 3 – 4 cups Idaho or Yukon Gold Potatoes (Potatoes will need to be peeled, boiled and cut into cubes after they have cooled. You can do this step for up to 2 days in advance, just be sure to store in water and refrigerate)
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (We prefer the flavor of real butter. But, if your family is looking to cut some calories from this recipe, margarine can be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons white flour
- 2 cups 1% or 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound Velveeta cheese (Again, if you are looking to cut some calories out of this recipe, you can use Velveeta cheese light. It is made with 2% milk and is only 60 calories per serving)
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pound Bean Brother’s Mild Country smoked sausage
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Start by cutting the smoked sausage in half lengthwise. Chop these pieces into ½ inch cuts. They will appear to be almost moon shaped. Cook all of these pieces in a frying pan on your stovetop over medium heat. Brown the smoked sausage for about 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add your precooked and diced potatoes into a 2-quart casserole dish. Next, add the cooked smoked sausage and gently toss the ingredients together to mix.
- The second step is making the cheese sauce. Start with adding the butter or margarine. You want to melt this first so the cheese doesn’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Mix all of the remaining ingredients (minus the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and the paprika) in a saucepan. Melt everything together over medium heat. The ingredients should be warm, well combined and have a smooth texture. Use a whisk and stir constantly to prevent the cheesy potatoes from burning.
- Once the cheese sauce is warm with a smooth consistency, pour over the cheesy potatoes and smoked sausage in the casserole dish. Mix these to combine evenly. Sprinkle the shredded sharp cheddar cheese on the top. Lastly, evenly sprinkle the paprika on top adding extra flavor and color to the dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the casserole for 35-45 minutes. Your indicator that it is about done is that the shredded cheddar will be golden brown on top.