Smoked Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
If you are looking for a hearty hash brown casserole to serve for brunch, look no further. This hash brown casserole can also double for a family dinner. The smoked sausage in this recipe makes the dish full of flavor. We suggest using Sour cream and chives as a topper. The prep for this hash brown casserole is really easy. The basics of it are layering shredded hash brown potatoes, eggs, milk, cheese, smoked sausage and peppers. Another great option for this meal is doubling the recipe and cut it into squares. You can freeze it and it reheats great. As the saying goes, the kitchen is the heart of the home, so let’s get started!
- 1 package Uncle John’s Pride Mild Country Smoked Sausage
- 24 ounces frozen hash brown (shredded) potatoes, thawed
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Use a 13” by 9” baking pan. Spray thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray. Next, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is warm, add the onion and bell peppers. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often. When these become soft in texture, add the Uncle John’s Pride Mild Country Sausage. Stir all ingredients together and cook for another 4-5 minutes. When the vegetables and smoked sausage start to brown around the edges, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, kosher salt and black pepper until all ingredients are well combined. In your baking pan, layer your shredded potatoes. If you haven’t given your potatoes enough time to defrost, we have a great tip for you. Spread them out on a cookie sheet and place in the preheated oven when you are preparing the rest of the ingredients. After there is an even layer on the bottom, layer with smoked sausage and pepper mixture. For the next layer, evenly spread the sharp cheddar cheese. Lastly, layer the egg and milk combination. Use a fork or a spoon to slightly stir together ingredients. You want to do this to ensure that the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Bake your hash brown casserole in the 350-degree oven for one hour. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days before eating. Also, you can cut the hash brown casserole into squares and freeze for up to 2 months. Our tips for preparing for this is to cut the dish into uniform size squares after it has cooled. Arrange the squares on a cookie sheet not touching. Put the whole cookie sheet in the freezer to freeze all of the squares. Once they are frozen through, place them in individual freezer bags. To reheat, pull out separate portions and wrap each in a wet paper towel. Heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until hot.