Hawaiian Grilled Sausage & Vegetable Skewers with Mango BBQ Sauce
If you love grilled sausage, you will love this delicious recipe! This grilled Hawaiian sausage dish utilizes vegetables and some fruit to create the perfect skewer. Paired with mango barbecue sauce, these skewers are going to be a huge hit with everyone. You can make these skewers for dinner with family, hanging out with friends, or for a big barbecue with tons of people. This dish is particularly delicious when enjoyed in the summertime outside!
This dish is perfect for a big dinner but you can easily make it in the afternoon too. All you need is a grill, some metal kebab skewers, and some gas or charcoal to cook up your grilled sausage, but you can always cook them in the oven as a backup plan. You can even eat them the next day and throw the veggies and sausage on top of some rice for a healthy lunch.
Use any sausage with this dish– we recommend Uncle John’s Pride Country or Jalapeño Sausage, which will go great with any vegetables or fruit used. You can use the vegetables recommended in this recipe or include other vegetables that you really love– it’s up to you.
These tasty skewers can be basted with the barbecue sauce while grilling but save it for the side if you want to keep the sauce separate. You can also use standard bottle BBQ sauce in its place to save time. This dish takes about 10 minutes to prepare and around a half hour to make.
- One package Uncle John’s Pride Mild County Smoked Sausage
- Two Vidalia onions
- 2 bell peppers
- Half a pineapple
- Button or white mushrooms
- One squash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- One mango
- One bottle of barbecue sauce
- Make the barbecue sauce first the day before to save time or the day of. Peel, wash, and grill the mango until just before there are grill marks. Put into a food processor and mix. Take a bottle of barbecue sauce (you can use 3/4 to the whole bottle and use however much mango you want to get the flavor you desire) and simmer with the mango. Place to the side and prep the skewer ingredients.
- Get your vegetables, sausage, and fruit ready. Wash the vegetables and cut on a cutting board, carefully sectioning them into quarters that are all going to roast evenly. Slice the sausage in thick circles that are proportionate to the vegetables and the pineapple.
- Take the ingredients and gently push them onto the skewers. You can use 12-inch skewers made out of metal or whatever skewers you have– it doesn’t matter if they are shorter, just make more. Place the pineapple, vegetables, and sausage on the skewers in whatever order you like. Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat up your grill when you are ready to get started. If using charcoal, let them build up some heat. Turn the grill to medium for gas. Place the skewers on the grill and let cook, rotating every so often.
- When there are grill marks on the vegetables and everything seems well-cooked (vegetables soft, grilled sausage), take off the grill and place on a platter. Brush them with the barbecue sauce and return to the grill for brief time, then take off and apply BBQ sauce again and serve hot.
- There you have it! This sausage, vegetable and pineapple skewer recipe is easy to pull off and delicious to boot! Use spicy sausage to get a distinct flavor or keep it simple with a country-style variety. All you need to make this dish is a grill, knife, cutting board, the ingredients provided, and a little bit of time. Try it out– you’ll be glad you did!