Pork Sausage Recipe | Sweet Potato and Sausage Breakfast Hash
When it comes to your breakfast or any other meal, why not go with a hearty hash? This pork sausage recipe is a winner whether you’re having it in the morning, bringing it to a brunch, or eating it for lunch or dinner. Sweet potatoes add a complexity and a depth to this recipe that is pretty delicious, and the accompanying onion, peppers, and spices, as well as the savory sausage only bring the dish to the next level.
This breakfast hash is fairly simple and it can be enjoyed any time of the day! It’s great fresh, but even better when cold or reheated the next day in the pan. This hash just gets better as the hours go on. Best of all, it’s simple to make and you can whip it up anytime for a big meal or a special holiday breakfast.
For this recipe, you can use a great sausage like Uncle John’s Pride Mild Country Smoked Sausage or Hot Country Smoked Sausage or even Italian sausage. If you don’t love yams, you can easily swap them out for your choice of a potato such as red or golden or even blue!
Check out the ingredients and how to make this sweet potato and sausage breakfast hash pork sausage recipe!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- One package Uncle John’s Pride Mild Country Smoked Sausage
- Half of an onion
- Two bell peppers, color your choice
- Garlic (optional)
- Pinch paprika
- Pinch cumin
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- First, you’re going to have to boil the water and make the potatoes. Bring a pot of water with salt in it to a roiling boil on the stove. Wash and peel and then cut sweet potatoes into cubes or squares. When water is boiling, boil potatoes for five minutes, just to the point of getting tender. You want them to retain shape and not fall apart or fall off when pierced with a fork. Strain the potatoes and set to the side.
- Heat a pan over medium. Take your sausage and place on the pan, stirring to cook. When done, you can take it off and place on a plate with a napkin or paper towel to absorb any extra liquid fat. Leave extra fat into the pan for cooking the onions, peppers, and rest of the dish.
- Take your onion and remove outer peel, dicing half of it. Wash the bell peppers and then slice them up. Add onions to the pan, sautéing and stirring. Cook for about five minutes and then add the bell peppers, sautéing for about the same time. You’re then going to add the spices on top and then add the sausage and the sweet potatoes.
- If you’re adding garlic, you can add as many cloves as you want! Just crush and then slice up, adding just after the bell peppers. This will add a flavorful element to your dish that as a garlic lover you may just adore. However, this dish has plenty of flavors even without the garlic!
- Eat this dish for breakfast or enjoy this hash anytime. It’s one of those recipes that you can’t get enough of once you’ve cooked it up. Share with family or friends, bring to a potluck, or just save it all for yourself! This hash is so good that you’ll have people asking you for the recipe left and right.
Cook this sweet potato and sausage hash for breakfast or whenever you like! You can always add in little extras, like crunchy sautéed celery or even pieces of cheese. Try this pork sausage recipe for yourself and see how you like it!