Potato Casserole With Andouille Sausage
We absolutely love casseroles. Not only are they hardy, but they are easy to put together. We have a favorite new recipe for potato casserole with andouille sausage. Cajun spices, chopped peppers and andouille sausage gives this dish extra flavor. The potatoes remind of of au gratin potatoes. We definitely recommend doubling the recipe. Otherwise, you might as well forget about leftovers with this stunning dinner. You can also experiment with additional vegetables. Another great addition would be corn, broccoli florets or green onions. If you are feeling extra adventurous, you can substitute the andouille sausage with some of our other sausage products. As the saying goes, the secret ingredient is cheese. Let’s get cooking!
2 pounds small red skin potatoes, scrubbed and peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks (if you prefer skin on your potatoes, you can also skip the step of peeling the potatoes)
12 ounces of Troy Landry’s Choot ‘Em Smoked Andouille Sausage, sliced into pieces
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium red, green, yellow or orange bell pepper, also finely chopped
4 additional tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3 cup all purpose flour
6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar jack blend, divided
½ teaspoon Cajun spice seasoning (we suggest Zatarain’s Creole seasoning)
½ teaspoon salt
2 and ¼ cups 2% milk
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
2. Add chunks of potato to a medium saucepan. Cover all of the potato with water. Bring the water to a boil with high heat. Once there is a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cook the potatoes for about 12 to 15 minutes. Before draining, test potatoes with a fork to make sure they are soft. Darin the water and set aside.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine in another medium saucepan over medium low heat. Next, add the sausage, onion and bell pepper. Cook these ingredients until the andouille sausage is brown and the onion and pepper are soft. Transfer all of these cooked ingredients to a plate and set aside.
4. In the same saucepan that you cooked the vegetables in, melt the additional 4 tablespoons of butter and margarine. Slowly add in the all purpose flour. Cook, stirring frequently, until it is smooth and bubbly. Stir in the milk and cook until the mixture has thickened. Add in 1 cup of cheese, spices, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the cheese has melted and the consistency is smooth.
5. Combine the cheese sauce with the potatoes and andouille sausage mixture. Stir gently to blend all of the ingredients. Transfer everything to the baking dish and add the remaining ½ cup of cheese over the top.
6. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool. Slice the casserole and serve. This recipe will serve 6 to 8 people. We suggest serving it with warm french bread with an additional side salad.