Smoked Sausage BBQ Remoulade
A staple in the south is chow-chow. For those who aren’t familiar with chow-chow, its a variety of pickled relish. Its a southern traditional food that is served alone or in combination with other foods. We have a great recipe for you that combines this with smoked sausage. With an extra kick of bbq sauce, this has an interesting flavor combination. As side dishes, we suggest french fries, backed beans, coleslaw or potato salad. Its a perfect meal for a large family get together or a Sunday watching the game. As the saying goes, southern cooking warms the heart and soothes the soul. So let’s get started!
Green Tomato Chow-chow Relish:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 green tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, grilled, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, grilled, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, grilled and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce (we recommend Sweet Baby Ray’s brand).
- 3 baby pickles, finely diced
- 2 green onions (only the green parts) finely diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 and ½ pounds Team Realtree Mild Smoked Pork Baby Link Sausage
- Crispy Italian buns, sliced for serving
- Before starting this recipe, you will need to grill the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and the jalapeno. Start by heating your outdoor grill to high heat. Place all three ingredients on the grill. Grill for about 15 minutes, being sure to turn so each side evenly gets consistently cooked. Once they are finished grilling, let the bell peppers cool. Then, remove the outer skin with a potato peeler.
- First you want to make the green tomato chow-chow relish so it has time to cool before serving. You can make it anywhere from an hour to 24 hours before. Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seeds and mustard seeds in a small saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a boil and cook everything until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Next, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno and onion in a bowl. Add in the vinegar mixture from the previous step, olive oil and black pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the BBQ remoulade, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, bbq sauce, baby pickles and green onion. Mix until all of the ingredients are well combined. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for are least one hour. This gives the flavors time to meld.
- To start cooking the smoked sausage, heat the grill to high for direct grilling. Grill the smoked sausages until the are golden brown. All of the sides of the smoked sausages should be charred from cooking. The smoked sausages should be cooked though. Grill them for approximately ten minutes.
- For serving, put each smoked sausage in a sliced bun. Top each with BBQ remoulade and chow-chow relish. Extra chow-chow can be used for dipping french fries or can be mixed into coleslaw.