Spicy Louisiana Gumbo Crock Pot Recipe
When it comes to cooking, there’s no greater joy than making a crock pot recipe in your slow cooker. A Crock Pot makes preparing meals so much easier as you can set it to cook while you are out doing other things and come back to piping hot food that’s ready to go! We’ve put together a great gumbo recipe for your slow cooker that features sausage, vegetables, and of course those famous New Orleans spices. You can cook this for six or seven hours, perfect if you’re heading out in the morning and want something delicious for dinner at night. This recipe is great for any season, whether it’s in the fading heat of a long summer day or a cold winter’s night!
This spicy Louisiana gumbo can be paired with any side you can think of! Whether it’s a thick load of bread, garlic toast with avocado, arugula salad, collard greens, or even crab rangoon, this hot and spicy dish goes along with a variety of appetizers and sides. You can use any sausage you want for this gumbo and it will work and change the flavor in a subtle way. Uncle John’s Pride Mild or Hot Country Smoked Sausage would be a great sausage for this dish, and you can use Uncle John’s Pride Jalapeño Smoked Sausage if you want to give it that extra kick of spice.
Sausage Crock Pot Recipe: Spicy Louisiana Gumbo
- 1/2 pound shrimp, with shells and tails removed
- 1 package Uncle John’s Pride sausage, your choice
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 hot pepper, habanero, jalapeño, or your favorite variety
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 4 medium celery pieces
- 2 fresh tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Cajun spice
- 1/8 teaspoon Sriracha or hot sauce
- dash of cayenne
- dash of salt and pepper, to taste
- Healthy pinch each of Thyme, Oregano
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 cups of rice, white/brown/your choice, cooked
- Get your slow cooker out!
- Gather all of your ingredients, minus the shrimp and rice.
- Wash and slice your vegetables and add to the cooker. Be careful with the hot peppers– save them for last and wash your hands immediately after with soap and water and do not touch your face. Wash the cutting board and knife to use after for the shrimp.
- You can use boxed chicken broth for this crock pot recipe, or use homemade or a mix of a condensed broth and hot water. Add to the cooker, turning it on to a low setting and add spices and herbs in with your ingredients.
- Slice the sausage and add to your Crock Pot. You’re going to place the lid on and cook for six hours, but if it goes to seven that’s okay. After that, leave on warm.
- When you return six hours later, prep your rice. Mix one part rice to one part water with salt in a rice cooker or just cook in your favorite style on the stove. You can use any type of rice for this– white, brown, jasmine, etc.
- Take shrimp from your fridge. Rinse in a colander and remove shells and tails, then salt. Add to your slow cooker and cook up to one to one and a half hours more.
- Set your crock pot to warm when done. Get some large bowls and ladle your gumbo in!
The smell should be mouthwatering. Add a scoop of cooked rice to your gumbo and you are ready to enjoy this amazing dish, inspired by the heart of Louisiana and Uncle John’s Pride Sausage.