Egg and Spicy Sausage Casserole Recipe
When it comes to meal time, there’s no easier dish to cook up than a sausage casserole recipe! This spicy sausage and egg casserole is the perfect dish to serve up. Whether you’re cooking it up for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, this versatile meal makes for a filling bite that’s delicious too.
Whether you’re getting ready for the day or sitting down to a big hardy meal, this dish is great because it can be prepared ahead of time and made the next day. All you have to do is pop it into the oven and pull it out when it’s ready. This sausage casserole recipe is best when made with an Uncle John’s Pride Sausage like the Mild or Hot Smoked Country Sausage or go with the Jalapeño Smoked Sausage for that extra kick.
Read on to find out how to make this spicy dish! If you want to leave out the spiciness but keep everything else, all you have to do is omit the hot peppers and select a sausage to your liking. This sausage casserole recipe is modifiable in so many ways, so don’t be afraid to add more or less spicy ingredients if you’re so inclined. Prep time is around 30 minutes. Let’s get cooking!
- 1 loaf of Italian bread (or bread of your choice– use six slices if you have sliced bread only on hand)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups of cheddar cheese, grated (or cheese of your choice)
- 8-16 ounces sausage, cooked
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced (can use habaneros if you like hotter or pickled/canned chiles for milder)
- 1/4 sliced red bell pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch oregano
- Small pinch dry mustard
- Small pinch garlic powder
This recipe uses Italian bread, but you can swap in whatever you want or have on hand, fresh or slightly dried. You can also buy a French baguette or loaf if you prefer that style, or just turn to some sliced bread that you have on hand.The same goes for the cheese– customize as you see fit.
Everyone has their own favorite cheese, and while we’re using cheddar, you can use Gouda or a variety of other cheeses like pepper jack or even Swiss. You can buy it shredded in the bag or purchase it and grate yourself.
- Start by cooking the sausage on a pan on medium high, turning down to medium once it gets going. Remove sausage from casings and cook broken up so you can distribute it evenly later. While that’s cooking, slice your hot peppers. Wear gloves if you like or simply wash your hands well after slicing. Do not touch your eyes!
- Rip bread in half if loaf and butter one side. If using sliced simply butter one side and place the buttered side down on your baking dish, which will be a flat 9×13. Use enough to cover the bottom. It doesn’t have to be perfectly filled but try not to leave gaps. Add the cheese on top, spreading so that it covers evenly, spooning the cooked sausage over and adding the hot peppers. Again, use jalapeño or habanero or your favorite pepper here. Add red bell pepper, sliced evenly, if using.
- Whisk eggs in the bowl and add your spices. Pour over your casserole dish, whisking to make sure spices are even throughout. Cover with foil and place in the fridge to sit overnight.
- To cook, heat oven to 350. Cook for thirty minutes with the foil on and thirty minutes with it off or until the edges and top are golden brown and done. Let cool slightly in pan or plate and enjoy!