Zucchini Sausage Lasagna | Sausage Meals
Sausage meals have been a family favorite across many cultures for many years. This can be attributed to its great taste and the countless number of ways you can prepare it. From sausage casserole to Italian sausage recipes, your taste buds will be in for a treat. With the many available recipes, you can practically make a sausage meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. How exciting right? Feel like having sausage for dinner? We would like to guide you through a recipe that will surely give you an appetite.
This recipe is a combination of sausage casserole and zucchini. It is a great recipe as its one of the ways through which you can creatively add vegetables into your meals. By having zucchini, you reduce the amount of noodle you would have used. Fewer noodles mean lower carbs thus the healthier option to go with.
Preparation time for this meal is between 1 hours to 2 hours taking into consideration preparation time.
- 1 pound of Uncle John’s Pride Cooked Italian Sausage
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- A tablespoon of butter
- 4 medium-sized zucchini
- 15 ounces of ricotta cheese
- 2 table spoons of sugar
- 12 ounces of shredded mozzarella
- 6 lasagna noodles cooked and set aside
- A teaspoon of oregano
- ¼ cup of pepper
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley
- The first thing you should do is to cook the sausages, onion, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink then drain it. You should then add the crushed tomatoes, the tomato paste, parsley, sugar, oregano, and pepper.
- Cover the mixture for 30 minutes as it simmers. Remember to stir in occasionally.
- In another skillet, cook the zucchini in butter until when they are tender. Therefore, you need to combine the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and the eggs into a bowl.
- On an ungreased baking dish of 13×9 inches, add 1 and a half cups of the meat sauce. Layer it with 3 of the noodles, half of the zucchini and half of the remaining ricotta cheese. Add another two cups of the meat sauce then layer all the remaining noodles, zucchini, and ricotta cheese. Top the layers with the two cups of meat sauce left.
- Bake it uncovered at an oven set at 350 between forty to fifty-five minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on to it and bake for five minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Once it is out of the oven, you can let it stand for 15 minutes as it cools before serving.
This is one of the many sausage meals recipes that you can try. This meal can be prepared for dinner. The good thing about the zucchini sausage lasagna is that it can go well with a variety of dishes. This includes roasted potatoes, salads, pasta among others.
To conclude, it is true that there are several ways you can make sausage meals. Zucchini sausage lasagna is only but one of them. Try out the recipe and have your family and guests asking for second servings.