Italian Sausage Chili Recipe
Are you in the mood for something spicy? Well, we got this Italian Sausage Chili Recipe that will surely spice up your day and fix your cravings. The best thing about this recipe is it’s a kind fusion food, specifically between Mexican and Italian. We promise you, using Italian sausage instead of ground beef or pork is something enticingly different.
First Things First
Before we get into the step by step details of creating this tasty dish, there are few things that you should know.
Keep in mind that this dish will need a bit of time to cook because you are essentially preparing two parts of the dish. The first part is preparing the chili sauce, and the second part is cooking the entire dish.
The suggested ingredients below will yield about 6 servings of this spicy dish. Preparation time is around 10 minutes, and cooking of the dish will require about an hour. So, that’s about 1 hour and 10 minutes total cooking time.
The best time to serve the dish is during dinner time. The dish is best paired with draft beer. However, if you want something classy, then wine also works great. If you decide to pair it with wine, it’s best that you pick a wine with fuller texture. Wines with thinner texture aren’t recommended as the spices in the chili recipe dish may overpower the wine’s taste. Now that we have covered the important stuff, let’s start with the step-by-step guide.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs. of mild Italian sausage (remove the casing)
- 1 1/4 lbs. of Uncle John’s Pride cooked Italian sausage (remove the casing)
- 2 tbsp. of ancho chile powder
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1/2 tsp. of chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp. of ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp. of dried oregano
- 2 cans cannellini beans (15 ounces for each can) (drained and rinsed)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- salt to taste
Preparing The Dish
- Start by heating olive oil in a large pot. Use a medium-high heat when heating. Once the olive oil is hot enough, drop the chopped onions, mild Italien sausage, hot Italian sausage and a pinch of salt into the pot. With a wooden spoon, start breaking up the sausages. Continue cooking until the sausages are crumbly and brown, which is around 10 minutes.
- Then, add the oregano, chipotle chile powder, ground black pepper cumin, paprika and chile powder into the sausage mix. Be sure to keep stirring as you drop these ingredients. Saute the mixture until it becomes fragrant, which is around 2 minutes.
- Then, add the tomato puree and some water into the sausage mixture. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to a medium-low setting. Continue cooking at a steady simmer until the sausages are tender, which is around 30 minutes. You may have to add water from time to time if the mixture gets too thick. You can also skim the fat that floats if you want something healthier.
- Finally, add the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and cannellini beans. Continue to simmer the mix until the vegetables are tender, which is around 30 minutes. Add salt to taste if necessary.
So that’s it. So what are you waiting for? Start grabbing the ingredients and start making your own spicy fusion chili recipe delight.