Mushroom Soup with Andouille Sausage
When the weather is starting to get colder, we love to make soup. One of our favorites is this creamy mushroom soup with andouille sausage. You can substitute any other type of smoked sausage in this recipe, but we prefer andouille sausage because of the extra kick of flavor it gives to the soup. Top your finished soup with chives, fresh parsley, and green onions. Fresh bakery bread is a great addition to make the meal more hearty. We also suggest a side salad to add some extra vegetables and round out the meal. Cooking well doesn’t always mean cooking fancy. With this easy mushroom and andouille sausage soup, you will impress all of your friends and family.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package of Troy Landry’s Choot ‘Em Smoked Andouille Pork Sausage (sliced in half, and then thinly sliced)
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (for the mushroom soup)
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, mashed and finely minced
- ½ cup all-purpose white flour
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth (be sure to use unsalted or low sodium)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces (approximately 2 cups) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish: chives, parsley or additional sliced green onions
- First, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the andouille sausage. Saute for about 5 minutes until the edges of the andouille sausage start to turn brown. Transfer the andouille sausage to a plate when its done cooking. In the drippings left in the pot, add the mushrooms to the mushroom soup. If needed, you can add a little more oil. Cook for about 4 minutes, consistently stirring. The mushrooms should be tender and light brown when done.
- Next, add the green onions and garlic to the mushrooms. Saute for about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl and set aside for later use. In the same pot, melt the butter or margarine. Stir in the all-purpose flour and mix with the melted butter. Cook for 1 minute until the mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly. Be sure to stir so this doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot and burn. Add the chicken or vegetable broth and cook until mixture is thickened.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and cheddar cheese next. Stir continuously until both are melted and everything is combined. Heavy whipping cream can bubble over if it is heated too fast, so make sure you stir and watch the mixture for this. Add back to the sausage and mushroom mixture. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and add the nutmeg and black pepper. Next, add kosher salt to taste. Heat everything over medium heat until the soup is heated through. Serve with a garnish of green onion, chives or chopped fresh parsley.
- You can also add leftover rice or egg noodles to the soup. This can round out the meal and also can help you get rid of leftovers. Or you can add shrimp or cut up chicken breast for additional protein. Add these in the step in which you are cooking the andouille sausage.