Perfect Pumpkin Pot Sausage Bake
Before you trade out all your pumpkins for pine cones, you’ve got to try this delicious and creative recipe! We recommend using our Uncle John’s Pride Hot Smoked Sausage for best results.
What you’ll need:
4 mini pumpkins (about 1 pound each)
8 ounces UJP Hot Smoked Sausage – finely diced
4 pieces stale bread (any nonsweet kind), cut into cubes
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 teaspoons crème fraîche (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the top quarter off each of the four pumpkins and remove the seeds and stringy bits.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté your Uncle John’s Pride Hot Smoked Sausage for four to five minutes, until cooked through. Drain off any rendered fat and set aside.
- Whisk one of the eggs, and toss it in a large bowl with the sausage, bread cubes, sage, parsley, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Fill each pumpkin with the stuffing mixture to a little less than one inch from the top, and place it on the prepared sheet. Bake for 40 minutes, until the pumpkins have softened.
- Remove the pan from the oven and use a spoon to compress the stuffing a little. Crack one of the remaining four eggs into each pumpkin. Lightly cover the pumpkins with a sheet of aluminum foil. Increase the heat to 400 degrees F and return the sheet to the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes, until the eggs are just set.
Serve hot, topped with about a teaspoon of crème fraîche and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!